July 21, 2012
Vaughn Gittin Wins His Second Consecutive Event at Round 5: Throwdown;
Takes The Lead in the Pro Championship Points Standings
Long Beach, Calif. July 21, 2012 Formula DRIFT returned to the Pacific Northwest at Evergreen Speedway for Round 5: Throwdown. Vaughn Gittin, Jr. in the Monster Energy / Falken Tire Ford Mustang takes his second consecutive victory and the lead in the Pro Championship Points Standings.
Round 5: Throwdown continued the success of the season to a capacity crowd at Evergreen Speedway. The Driftstream saw an estimated 175,000 viewers in a 24-hour period.
This has been one of the most exciting events of the season, said Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. The chase for the championship heats up as we head into the final two events of the season and it is still anyone’s to take with only 62 points separating the top 5 drivers.
The action on the track showcased the true competition of the Series with many close battles and upsets throughout the event. Ken Gushi in the Greddy Performance Scion FR-S faced Hankook teammate Rhys Millen in the RMR Hyundai Genesis Coupe in a very close battle. Millen took the victory for third place and his first podium appearance of the season. The Finals pitted Ryan Tuerck in the Retaks Nissan 240SX against Vaughn Gittin, Jr. After a tightly fought battle Gittin took the win and the lead in both the Pro Championship points standings and in the Tires.com Triple Crown, while Tuerck moves up to fifth place overall.
I am just so pumped right now. We have been working so hard and have overcome the minor issues we had earlier this year and I owe this to my team and all my partners, said Vaughn Gittin, Jr., winner of Round 5: Throwdown. It just feels so good to re-focus and drive my heart out and stand on top of the podium!
The competition is as close as it has ever been with only two remaining events remaining and the championship still up for grabs. The Formula DRIFT Pro Championship Round 6: After Dark on August 24 25 at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship 2012 Point Standings After 5 Events
1. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Falken Ford Mustang 391 Points
2. Saito, Daigo Achilles Tire / Bridges Racing Lexus SC430 383.50 Points
3. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 376 Points
4. Yoshihara, Daijiro Discount Tire / Falken Tire Nissan S13 347 Points
5. Tuerck, Ryan Team Retaks Nissan 240SX 328.50 Points
6. Millen, Rhys Hankook / Rhys Millen Racing Hyundai Genesis Coupe 318.25 Points
7. Aasbo, Fredric Need for Speed / Papadakis Racing Scion TC 295.50 Points
8. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Nissan 370Z 293 Points
9. Powers, Matt Need for Speed / Nitto Nissan S14 275.50 Points
10. Bakchis, Aurimas “Odi” Bakchis Motorsports Nissan 240SX S14 267.75 Points
11. Gushi, Ken Greddy / Hankook Scion FR-S 266.50 Points
12. Grunewald, Conrad Hankook Chevrolet Camaro 238.50 Points
13. Essa, Michael GSR Autosport / Nitto BMW ZR4 232 Points
14. Moen, Kenneth Lutz Performance Nissan 350Z 231 Points
15. Kado, Ryan Forged Racing / Nexen Tire Nissan 250Z 226 Points
16. Yoshioka, Toshiki RS*R Nissan S15 224.75 Points
Round 5: Throwdown Event Results
1. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Falken Ford Mustang Winner
2. Tuerck, Ryan Team Retaks Nissan 240SX Second Place
3. Millen, Rhys Hankook / Rhys Millen Racing Hyundai Genesis Coupe Third Place
Tires.com Triple Crown Standings after 2 events of 3
1. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster Energy / Falken Ford Mustang 176 Points
2. Aasbo, Fredric Need for Speed / Papadakis Racing Scion TC 153 Points
3. Tuerck, Ryan Team Retaks Nissan 240SX 143.50 Points